Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Pico and Marc

Lots of times people ask me my opinion about their son/daughter/grandchild/friend that is considering a career in photography. I think they are looking for me to confirm that it's a hard life, a tough career, too much work for not enough money. Truth is, I'm so enthusiastic about photography and am amazed at how much opportunity and diversity there is in the field. You could photograph sports, food, weddings, wars, babies, flowers, etc.. You could make peanuts and have adventure or barely lift a finger and make big bucks (so I've heard...). Mostly I do weddings and families and it is the perfect fit for me. But sometimes I get funny little jobs that have to do with people..headshots, school publicity photos, video stills, etc..

A few weeks ago I had a great day where I got to photograph two authors that I really admire in the same day! It was a funny mixing of two guilty pleasures--travel writing and kids cartoons. For PEPS 25th anniversary luncheon the Arthur creator, Marc Brown spoke and then that evening I headed over to SAL's last lecture of the year--travel writer Pico Iyer. My job is so cool!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

oh, man, that is cool! I know how much you like Arthur. I wish I could say I know who Pico Iyer is, but I can't say I do. How did you get the Marc Brown gig?